Facilities and Assistance

As a student at the Intensive English Program,  you will have access to a variety of services, assistance, and activities. Many of these services can be used once you receive your Cane Card (student ID card), which you will get during IEP orientation.

Richter Library:
(Cane Card required)

You can use the library to study, check out books, print papers, use the digital media lab, use computers, etc.

Wellness Center: 
(Cane Card required)
The UM Wellness Center offers recreational sports, fitness and wellness programs, cooking classes, yoga and pilates classes, massages, personal training, etc. The facility includes a 15,000 square foot fitness floor with over 100 pieces of Cardio and strength equipment, four group fitness instructional classrooms (including cycling), as well as a cafe serving smoothies and fresh Mediterranean Cuisine. The Wellness Center also has two swimming pools- one indoor and one outdoor with high dives.

Health Center:
(Cane Card required)
If you have UM insurance, you should coordinate your medical treatment with the Student Health Center. They can diagnose and treat minor injuries and new or ongoing illnesses.

Counseling Services:
The UM Counseling Center offers mental health treatment to currently enrolled UM undergraduate, graduate, law, and medical students. They promote the personal well-being of each student through comprehensive mental health services. This is a confidential service, meaning that the counselors will not share your information with anyone. If you are homesick, having trouble in a relationship, struggling with classes, social issues, etc. this is a great place to start. There are counselors available in English, Spanish, and Portuguese. Translation services are available if necessary.

University Bookstore:

You can buy your school textbooks here. You can also find UM clothing, pencils, notebooks, etc., as well as get student discounts on computers.

Hurricane Foodcourt and other food options:
There are lots of options for eating on campus.

There are a variety of small food stations inside the Hurricane Foodcourt, including Innovation Kitchen, Sushi Maki, Panda Express, Pollo Tropical, Tossed, Burger 305, Subway, Outtakes, The Corner Deli, and Lime.

At the Shalala Center, you will find Starbucks, Jamba Juice, Fresh Fusion, and the Rathskellar (restaurant & bar).

There are two Starbucks on campus (one at the Shalala Center, one at the library), an Einsteins Bagels at the Law School, and various food carts around campus, including Half Moon Empanadas.

If you would like to eat in the dining halls, you’ll need to purchase a meal plan.

Language Labs in Allen Hall:
Allen Hall has two computer labs with a total of 50 networked Windows-Compatible computers for in-class and independent work. The labs will be open before and after classes for independent student work. You may also use the printers in the labs.  

Advising and Immigration Advice:
We have an experienced immigration advisor in our office, Jenny Vargas, who can assist with any immigration questions for our international students.

Housing Assistance:
If you are having a hard time finding a place to stay in Miami, our Student Services Manager, Amy Dean, can assist you in finding the perfect place for you to live.

Want first-hand experience?
Speak with an IEP student ambassador

One thought on “Facilities and Assistance

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s